Here are our Innocent thoughts on the game:
- Batting Gaby Sanchez 5th ahead of Neil Walker is dumb.
- Batting Garrett Jones 2nd is a classic example of outsmarting oneself.
- If having Sanchez and Jones is our best offensive lineup, God help us.
- No coincidence that the two big hits outside of Anthony Rizzo’s were to deep RF where we had a first-baseman playing.
- As we progressed through the lineup watching on TV, seeing the stats of the Bucs’ OBA from last year was depressing.
- AJ Burnett was awesome.
- Neil Walker got robbed on that check-swing 3rd-strike. Big play in the game too.
- Sad when you find yourself yelling at the TV at your players “Don’t swing!” as our best offensive choice. I just wanted to see Jeff Samardzija reach his pitch count after six innings to give the Pirates a chance to win.
- Glad to see Pedro Alvarez get a hit and an RBI in the game batting clean-up. I believe in psychological victories down to the individual detail. Confidence matters.
- Justin Wilson looked great!
- Andrew McCutchen stealing a base down by three was dumb… and I’m thrilled he did it. Yep, I’m dumb (and he’s on my fantasy team).
- The Bucs couldn’t have started the season against a worst matchup in Samardzija.
- The Bucs hitting sucks.
- If Starling Marte and Travis Snyder/Jose Tabata don’t get really good really fast, this season will be a struggle.
- I’m a fan. I’m emotional. If you want objectiveness, go somewhere else. If you want someone to ride the roller coaster with you, come here.
- I did not edit this for typos or poor grammar.