The Pirates jumped on the Cardinals early scoring four runs before recording an out in game one of the five game series against the first place Cardinals.
Pedro Alvarez smacked a 3-run HR in the 1st inning to stake the lead to 4-0.
- Francisco Liriano is establishing himself as the ace of this staff. If the Bucs make the playoffs, you have to think Liriano would start game one of the first series.
- Liriano throws a lot of pitches out of the zone. But, he seems to know when a hitter is expecting it and he pumps pitches across the plate to get ahead in the count. Experience counts.
- When the cameras give us shots in the dugout, it is obvious how tight the Bucs are as a team.
- I wonder how hurt Michael McKenry and Travis Snider are. Biggest series to date and changes we expected a day before September being facilitated by DL stints seems awfully convenient.
- Game 1 was a game the Pirates had to win. The matchup was perfect with the Pirates’ best pitcher against the Cardinals’ pitcher the Bucs match up best against in Jake Westbrook.
- Five game series with such implications is daunting. A team can’t win the Division in this series, but you feel one can lose it.
- Clint Barmes has been awesome since losing the starting job.
- Neil Walker has been great since returning from his latest injury.
- I assume Brandon Cumpton will start Game 2 of the double header with Tony Sanchez catching on Tuesday. That game will be very interesting to watch, especially since the Cards switched Lynn to pitching in the 1st gameof the double header.
- I am comfortable with this team as is. I’d like an upgrade through trade, but not risking any future. Maybe add a bullpen guy if possible, but with the addition of Presley and Sanchez, I’m okay standing pat.